The solution to QuickBooks Error 1904 when installing QuickBooks Desktop
In QuickBooks, this error is quite common when users are installing QB files. Also, it arises when the system does not maintain files and folders correctly. Error 1904 indicates ‘Failed to register’ file path, name, or extension.
Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] could not registered.
Below is a similar image to the one on your desktop.
The QuickBooks error can also occur if the operating system is upgraded from Windows Vista to Windows 7, or if the system is not rebooted after the QuickBooks upgrade is completed.
Whenever multiple QB errors appear on the display and they exclusively state ICWrapper.dll, qbprefs.dll, RcnFndRequestHandler.dll & qbupdate.exe (among others), then Microsoft Visual C++ might be damaged.
QuickBooks Error 1904: Possible Causes
When working with QuickBooks accounting software, what could be the cause of this error?
- The issue arises when your company’s files get damaged or corrupted suddenly. The settings of the file may be incorrect.
- You may receive messages mentioning specific files such as dll, qbupdate.exe, and more. This problem is usually caused when a file or a folder is damaged.
- It is possible that you have not rebooted your computer after upgrading the operating system from one version to another, resulting in this error.
What are the major signs of QuickBooks error code 1904?
The following signs can help you identify the problem:
- There are some crucial company files missing
- There is a slowdown in the system
- If the system updates aren’t available automatically
- Hard drives and other read-write devices with permissions issues
- The screen displays “Error 1904: [file path / name / extension] failed to register” repeatedly
When Installing QuickBooks Desktop, How do you Fix Error 1904?
Execute the following fixation steps in the order shown to resolve QuickBooks log in error 1904.
Solution 1: Run QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Don’t open QuickBooks software until the installation has been completed. Select the “Ignore” tab on the error message.
- Restart Computer.
- Download and run the QuickBooks Desktop Install Diagnostic Tool if the QuickBooks installation did not complete.
- Reboot System.
- If running the tool does not resolve the error, activate the built-in Administrator account and install QuickBooks under that account.
Solution 2: Activate built-in or hidden administrator
To activate the built-in administrator, follow these steps:
Step 1: Activate built-in Administrator
- On the keyboard, tap the “Windows” button.
- Right-click on the “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe” and choose “Run as Administrator”.
- Enter “net user administrator /active:yes” in the command prompt window and click “Enter”.
Tips: If you encounter any errors, type “net user administrator /active”.
Step 2: Switch to the built-in Administrator Account
- Press the “Ctrl + Alt + Delete” key simultaneously, then select “Switch User Windows 8 users”: click on the “Windows” button and select the user icon on the upper right of the screen.
- Select the “default Administrator account” icon by pressing “Ctrl+Alt+Delete” at a time.
Step3: Hide built-in Administrator account
- On the keyboard, click the “Windows” button.
- In the search box, type “CMD”. Right-click on “CMD/ Command Prompt/ cmd.exe” and select “Run as Administrator”.
- Enter “net user administrator /active:no” in the command prompt window.
Step 4: Change the security settings in the installation directory
- Go to “C:Program FilesCommon Files”.
- Right-click the “Common Files” folder & select “Properties”.
- Under the “Security” tab, select the “Edit” icon, and then choose “Users” under the “Groups or user names” section.
- Select the following permissions under the “Permissions for users” tab:
o Reading and executing
o List the contents of the folder
o Take a look at
o The act of writing
- Click “Apply” and then “OK”.
Step 5: Install QuickBooks
- Reinstall QuickBooks Desktop.
- Switch to the original user login after installing QuickBooks accounting software.
Note: If you followed the entire steps exactly and you’re still getting the same error, we suggest that you contact the QuickBooks Experts to diagnose the problem.
Solution 3: Manually configure the damaged components of Windows
Step 1: Repair the .NET framework
- In order to fix this, the user needs to access the control panel and fix issues related to Microsoft.net framework.
- Select the .Net framework from the list of installed programs
- Visit the page for programs and features as well
Step 2: Register MSXML.dll
64-bit operating systems (OS)
- The user needs to click on the start tab
- Then enter CMD in the search box
- Right-clicking the CMD icon will open the context menu
- The run as admin tab should be selected
- When the window opens, enter cmd and get the root directory of C:
- Press the keyboard shortcut “CD windows/ syswow64/”.
- Enter “regsvr32 MSXML6.dll” after finding syswow64
- Once again, press enter
- Try installing QuickBooks and see if the problem persists
32-bit operating systems (OS)
- To open the run window, press Windows + R at first
- Click on enter to add cmd to the box
- Then, enter ‘regsvr32 MSXML6.dll’
- To continue, hit the Enter tab again
Solution 4: Update operating system
Windows 10 compatible
- Click on the Windows start tab to begin
- Go to the tab for updates and security
- After that, click on the Windows Update tab
- Click on “Check for updates”
- If there are any updates, this will show them
- Click on the update tab after selecting the updates you want
- Reboot your computer
- After the upgrade has been installed properly, launch QuickBooks and see if the issue has been resolved
Windows 8.1 compatible
- Go to the settings page
- Then click on Change PC settings
- Select Windows Update from the update and recovery menu
- Click on the check now link now for the user to proceed
- You can view details by selecting the view details tab
- With download sizes, you might have a lot of options
- Click on the appropriate option
- After the update is complete, reboot the system
- Re-login to QuickBooks
QuickBooks Installation Error 1904 (Failed to Register) Alternatives
- Go to the antivirus or security software program
- Download the installation source accurately by fine-tuning the internet bandwidth
- In multi-user mode, uncheck the shared updates option
Condition 1: If you have Bitdefender:
You should add the C:Program FilesCommon Files (for 32-bit machines) or C:Program FilesIntuit (C:Program Files(x86)Intuit (for 64-bit machines) to the Bitdefender exclusion list when installing QuickBooks on the computer. This problem cannot be resolved by turning off or disabling Bitdefender.
Condition 2: If the error occurs during the installation of Adobe Flash Player
- Install QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool on your computer.
- Adobe Flash Player should be uninstalled.
- Press “Windows + R” on the keyboard at the same time to open the “Run” window.
- On the “Control Panel” tab, type “Control Panel” and click “OK”.
- Select “Uninstall a program”.
- Select “Adobe Flash Player ActiveX”.
- Click the “Uninstall” button.
- Follow the instructions to complete the process.
- Install Adobe Flash Player from Adobe’s official website (www.adobe.com).
Condition 3: If the error references QBversionTool.dll
Solution 1: Use the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool
- Run the QuickBooks Install Diagnostic Tool after downloading it.
- Reboot the computer and reinstall QuickBooks.
Solution 2: Check permissions and use hidden (built-in) Administrator accounts
Verify the permissions by making a notepad file and saving it to the installation directory:
- Hit “Windows + R” on the keyboard while opening the “Run” window.
- Type your text in the “Notepad” and click “OK”
- In the notepad file, type in “QBTEST”.
- Click on the “Save As” icon from the “File” menu.\
- The file should be saved to the installation directory.
o C:Program FilesCommon Files 32-bit.
o C:Program Files(x86)Common Files 64-bit.
Guidelines for Additional Information
- You would have to install the actual executable if you are only working with QB Database Manager.
- In Microsoft Windows, the error occurs mainly when admin credentials are not used during installation.
- Install exe on the server before installing Avalara Avatax.
- You can also encounter the problem if you attempt to install the connector on a server without QB exe installed.
- The installation should say that it has been successfully completed after clicking OK on the error.
- Navigate to AvaTax Configuration (File > AvaTax > Configuration).
- Run QuickBooks as an administrator
- Choose the Test Connection option.
You can seek high-quality QuickBooks technical support from our certified ProAdvisors if you are still unable to resolve the QuickBooks error code 1904 after reading this article.
Call our toll-free helpline number 1-800-986-6821 for the best accounting solutions under one roof.