Converting QuickBooks file from one version to another is quite easy. Once you’ve upgraded the file to a newer version, you cannot downgrade it. Hence, we recommend that you make a backup copy of the QuickBooks 2013 company file.
Also, you should not uninstall QuickBooks 2013 from your system until the newer version has been installed successfully. This is because sometimes users can encounter complex installation errors. In such scenarios, if QuickBooks 2018 is still available, at least they will be able to continue with their own work.
To Upgrade QuickBooks 2013 File to QuickBooks 2018 File, Follow the Steps Provided Below:
- Install the new version of QuickBooks on the system
- Open QuickBooks 2018
- Click on File from the top menu
- Click on Open or Restore Company
- Browse to the location of the company file and select it
- Click on Open
- A confirmation box will appear with the title Update Company File to New Version.
- Click on Update Now
- All instructions will be provided by the software for importing the company file
- Click on Yes
Restart QuickBooks and open the newly imported company file. The file can then be exported into the .QBW format.
Migrating QuickBooks file is important when upgrading to a new version. Each version has its own defined format for the company file. Hence the update for the company file is required. The new versions of QuickBooks like QuickBooks 2018 can automatically upgrade the company file when it is imported.