QuickBooks Error 83: If a dialogue box appears and it says, “We are sorry! QuickBooks couldn’t open your company file.”, it indicates that Error code 83 has occurred and it generally takes place when the installation is incomplete or the file is saved with the wrong extension.
There is no ground for comparing when it comes down to accounting software that is fit for all small to medium-scale firms. With added features and a hand-free accessible interface, QuickBooks software cannot be overlooked by companies.
It is the only software that provides you with uncountable features and easy handling while performing tedious tasks.
However, just like any other software, QuickBooks can also be halted due to some common errors like QuickBooks error 83. Which can be resolved within no time?
Some common causes behind the QuickBooks Error 83
When there is a lack of required permission while accessing the company file, QuickBooks Error 83 can take place.
Here’s why QuickBooks error 83 occurs:
- There is a possibility that the Windows Firewall or other browser may create a blockage with QuickBooks Files or Programs.
- It can also be due to the Network icon always displaying limited connectivity.
- The most common reason can be that the Company File or the Folder is either damaged or the installation remains incomplete.
- Can also be because of the wrong File extension.
- The screen can display the QuickBooks error 83 when more than one user is trying to access the company file at a given time.
Ways to Resolve the QuickBooks Error 83
Mentioned below are the steps by how one can resolve/fix QuickBooks Error 83 according to the cause of the error.
Method 1: Steps to follow when The Company File is saved on a Windows server
Go to follow the mentioned steps for the above situation:
Step 1: To Deactivate Hostings on your Workstations
- For the first, tab Open the Quickbooks on your computer.
- Now move to the option Files and then select Utilities.
- Browse to locate the access for the Stop Hosting multi-user option and hit the option from the Utility grid.
Step 2: To download the QuickBooks File Doctor Tool and scan the Company file
- The foremost step, start by downloading the recent version of the QuickBooks tool hub.
- Now, choose and Open the file downloaded QuickBooksToolHub.exe
- Next, take up all the installation instructions and give access to the terms and conditions.
- Double-click on the window to open the Tool Hub, once the installation is done.
- Now from the Tool Hub window, further, select the Company File Issues.
- After this step, hit on the Run QuickBooks File Doctor.
- When the tool opens, navigate the drop-down menu.
- From this drop-down menu, choose the company file from the same.
- You can also use the search bar and search to find the company file.
- Hit on the Continue button which is present after you click on the Check your file option.
- Now for the last step, hit the Next button and enter the Qb admin password.
Step 3: To Restore from a Backup
- To start with the first step, choose Open or Restore Company from the file menu.
- Next, click on the Restore a backup copy and click Next to move further.
- Now, opt for the Local Backup and then again hit the Next button to follow.
- Browse the backup company file on your computer.
- Now, proceed to select a folder to save the restored company file.
- Go and click on Open, and hit on the Save button, once ready.
- The subsequent steps will provide you with a fresh company file.
Method 2: Steps to follow when a Company File is saved on a Linux Server
Take up the following steps if the mentioned situation is there:
Step 1: To Configure the Linux Server
- For the foremost, start to Open the Linux Database Server Manager on your computer.
- Now, proceed to Set up the directory available in Inetd. conf file and the Database Server Manager.
- For the final step, restart the QuickBooks on Host computers.
Step 2: By Configuring the Host File
- The first step is to ping the server, in order to get the IP address and the server name.
- Now, connect any one computer to the network.
- After this, to open the Run box, click the Start button.
- Now, proceed to press the Windows+R keys together and enter CMD in the Run box.
- A window will a command prompt will appear, further type “Ping[Server Name]” and tab on the Enter button.
- Finally, you can see the Ip address and server name.
Method 3: To Resolve QuickBooks Error 83 While Creating a Company File
Take the following steps, when creating a company file and the QuickBooks error 83 occurs:
Step 1: Proceed to shut the QuickBooks Desktop. Go to the File menu and hit on Quit QuickBooks Desktop.
Step 2: Tab on the Button Start on the keyboard.
Step 3: Now navigate and click on the File Explorer present on the taskbar and launch.
Step 4: From the Explorer grid now proceeds to This PC or My Computer.
Step 5: After this, double click under My Computer/This PC and open the C drive.
Step 6: Once the C drive is open, right-click and move to New, and then select New Folder.
Step 7: The subsequent step will create a new folder with a new name.
Step 8: Now for later create a backup company file to save in the C drive folder.
Step 9: For the final step, with this new backup proceed to restore your company file.
Method 4: Resolving the Error 83 While Restoring the Company File
Follow the mentioned steps to resolve the QuickBooks error 83 if it occurs while restoring the file:
Step 1: Double-check The Backup File Name
- For the first step, tab to open the Start Menu.
- Type File Explorer in the search box and proceed to open the file.
- Now, navigate the backup company file from the folder and tab on Open.
- After this, right-click the file with a .qbb at the end of the file name.
- For this step, hit on the Rename option.
- Browse to the folder containing the QBB file, right-click and choose Rename.
- After the subsequent step, proceed to remove any special characters, symbols if any.
- Finally, restore the company file after altering the extra characters or symbols.
Step 2: Make a Portable Company File
- In case the QBB file can’t be restored, then Open the company from the place you made a backup.
- Now, proceed to create a Portable Company file.
- After this step, use the created Portable Company File for restoring the company file.
Step 3: Use The Hard Drive to Restore the Backup
- For the first step, proceed to move the company file to the local hard drive.
- The local drive i.e; C: drive, now further recover the company file.
The above-mentioned steps are laid out to resolve the QuickBooks Error 83. The steps are concerned to eliminate the saving of the file with the wrong extension.
If you are still facing any issues or have doubts concerning the connection of the server, you can get in touch with the Quickbooks customer helpdesk. The team members are skilled and are available at the earliest.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
Question 1. How many options are there for resolving Quickbooks error 83?
1. By running the QuickBooks File Doctor tool.
2. Can also resolve by creating a new Portable Company file.
3. By making sure that all hosts are discontinued for all the workstations.
4. Can also alter the error by restoring the backup file from the hard drive.
Question 2. Is it possible to edit a host file while resolving QuickBooks error 83?
1. Click on Start Button and locate the file Explorer, then proceed to My Computer or This PC.
2. After this, go to C:drive\system32\etc\hosts. And now, open the host file with notepad.
3. Enter the Linux IP address, use the tab key, and then continue to add the name of the Linux server at the end of the host file.
4. For the final step, Select File and further save the host file, and shut the notepad.